A few curious facts to consider:
- The Authorized Version was first published 400 years ago, in 1611.
- In 1611 William Shakespeare was 46 years old.
- In the AV translation of Psalm 46 …
- … the 46th word from the top is translated “shake” (v. 3)
- … the 46th word from the bottom is translated “spear” (v. 9)
It is highly doubtful this was pulled off by Shakespeare himself. But perhaps this was the work of a sneaky translator or editor? Perhaps this acknowledges Shakespeare’s literary influence on the AV translators? Or perhaps this is just a mere coincidence of great statistical proportion? We will probably never know.