Entertainers Andy Griffith, Marilyn Monroe, and Miles Davis entered the world in May and June of 1926. A few weeks later, on July 22, a boy was delivered in England and given the name James Innell Packer. We know him today simply as J.I. Packer, and tomorrow marks his 85th birthday. This birthday — and the many birthdays before it — give us a good reason to pause to thank God for this man’s faithful theological influence and for his many years of fruitful writing.
It seems fitting that we celebrate his birthday and his legacy by giving away a few of his books, all made possible by our generous friends at Crossway Books.
I have four Packer books to give away and now I need four randomly selected winners to give them to. Those four winners will each choose one free book from this list of options:
- A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life
- In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
- Faithfulness and Holiness: The Witness of J. C. Ryle
- Growing in Christ
- A Grief Sanctified: Through Sorrow to Eternal Hope
- A Passion for Faithfulness: Wisdom From the Book of Nehemiah
- God’s Plans for You
- Keeping the Ten Commandments
- Praying the Lord’s Prayer
Here’s how to enter:
- You can enter through Twitter. Just re-tweet this and you’re entered.
- You can enter through a comment on this post. Leave a brief, or even a blank, comment (and please include your email address, which will not be published).
- Entries will be received until 7 am EST tomorrow morning (Fri). Winning entries will be randomly selected and I’ll announce winners at that time.
- The winning books can be shipped within the continental United States only. Sorry.
- Canadian readers (one in particular), please keep your snarky comments to a minimum.
Thanks for entering the contest!
Speaking of his books, here’s a brief video of Packer describing his early days as the Lord was confirming his writing gift.